Tuesday, January 12, 2010

1 Litre of Tears. My Short Reaction.

This show is so appropriately named. 

I watched it on Veoh in this collection:

You can also check it out on aznv.tv. 
And other places like mysoju.com and so on. 

I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. For me, it was really meaningful to watch because I watched from both perspectives - the main character and the parents, too, since I am also a parent, but wasn't a teen too long ago, either. Watching your child have to go through that... I always wonder about those parents and how they remain so strong but I know it's because of the child themselves. You have no right to be down and self-pitying when the sick person is so strong and hopeful. I've watched lots of specials on Dateline, Nightline and all sorts of other shows about sick children and their families, but this one was really amazing. I've also read a lot of Personal Tragedy Diaries like Go Ask Alice and another that I can't remember the name of that I read one day while hanging out in Borders and I read the whole thing in a few hours. About a girl that was with an older man, had sex once and got AIDS from him and then writes in her diary about the stuff she went through. If anyone knows the name, tell me, I tried to find it yesterday but I couldn't...

Anyway, about this story (truth.), I'm still letting it set in. I watched it in two days and I feel very moved and touched. Maybe I'll write something more after I think about it some more.

For those that haven't seen or read it, here is the plot from the book description.

1 Litre no Namida (1リットルの涙 Ichi Rittoru no Namida?, lit. "1 Litre of Tears"; also called A Diary with Tears or A Diary of Tears) is a dramatic tragedy diary written by Aya Kitō (木藤亜也 Kitō Aya?, July 19, 1962 - May 23, 1988) published shortly before her death. The diary, a true story based on her own life, was originally written in first person. It is about a girl coping with her teenage life along with a degenerative disease. She keeps a diary of not only what she does but how she feels and the hardships she must endure. Initially, the diary's purpose was for Kitô to chronicle impressions she had about how the disease was affecting her daily life. As the disease progressed, however, the diary became Kitô's outlet for describing the intense personal struggles she underwent in coping, adapting, and ultimately trying to survive her disease. As she notes in one entry, "I write because writing is evidence that I am still alive."

And the Japanese Drama was basically that story put into a show. It was... disturbingly depressing and yet uplifting at the same time. Two days before that I finished What Happened In Bali and let me say, such a different show. o.o

Plot from the show:

Aya Kito was diagnosed with a disease called spinocerebellar Degeneration when she was 15 years old. The disease causes the person to lose control over their body, but because the person can retain all mental ability the disease acts as a prison. So in the end she cant eat, walk or talk.

From Wiki. =D

No comments: