Monday, July 07, 2008

Kristin Chenoweth - Glitter and Be Gay.

So you can see how amazingly talented and funny she is. In this song, Kristin is a rich woman, and even with her tiny voice she can still sing super opera and be totally awesome. There are other versions of this on YouTube, but this is my favorite - some are from the same show as the If video.

Yes, she is actually singing, "Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!" She's laughing. She's so crazy, I love this song. It's from Candide.

Someone more serious read my description and I liked theirs more, as they were much more serious about the actual show, whereas I was just ranting about Kristin, but for informational purposes and from my comments -

She is a young woman, forced by the horrors of war to stay alive by accepting the attentions of men, rich men, who buy her the jewels she sings about. She is shamed, yet pleased, hence the delight of the song.




Lyrics help.

Glitter and be gay,
That's the part I play;
Here I am in Paris, France,
Forced to bend my soul
To a sordid role,
Victimized by bitter, bitter circumstance.
Alas for me! Had I remained
Beside my lady mother,
My virtue had remained unstained
Until my maiden hand was gained
By some Grand Duke or other.

Ah, 'twas not to be;
Harsh necessity
Brought me to this gilded cage.
Born to higher things,
Here I droop my wings,
Ah! Singing of a sorrow nothing can assuage.

And yet of course I rather like to revel,
Ha ha!
I have no strong objection to champagne,
Ha ha!
My wardrobe is expensive as the devil,
Ha ha!
Perhaps it is ignoble to complain...
Enough, enough
Of being basely tearful!
I'll show my noble stuff
By being bright and cheerful!
Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha!

Pearls and ruby rings...
Ah, how can worldly things
Take the place of honor lost?
Can they compensate
For my fallen state,
Purchased as they were at such an awful cost?

Bracelets...lavalieres
Can they dry my tears?
Can they blind my eyes to shame?
Can the brightest brooch
Shield me from reproach?
Can the purest diamond purify my name?

And yet of course these trinkets are endearing,
Ha ha!
I'm oh, so glad my sapphire is a star,
Ha ha!
I rather like a twenty-carat earring,
Ha ha!
If I'm not pure, at least my jewels are!

Enough! Enough!
I'll take their diamond necklace
And show my noble stuff
By being gay and reckless!
Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha!

Observe how bravely I conceal
The dreadful, dreadful shame I feel.
Ha ha ha ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't quite have the facts right about the story behind the song. She is a young woman, forced by the horrors of war to stay alive by accepting the attentions of men, rich men, who buy her the jewels she sings about. She is shamed, yet pleased, hence the delight of the song. Read the libretto of Candide. It is wonderful and has much to teach the world today.

Yandere said...

Yep, I know, I was just mostly writing that she was saying hahaha and was insane - more about Kristin, not the character. If I wrote like that, no one here would read it, I was just posting fast videos to show someone in the game I was playing. lol.

Awesome that someone else knows it, though and saw it, too. ^_^ I uploaded this video to Google a very long time ago and have other more serious posts about it.

I am just not as serious, I'm a hyperactive singing weirdo. =p